Sun rise service at the church of the monkeys
I am going to Melvin Village for sunrise Sun 5-4 have to leave early afternoon so starting early
lets see what happens in the next few days.
I'm also "busy" in the afternoon, but I have lots of plans just begging to be cancelled for kiting, so it might not even matter
if anyone wants to crash at my house Saturday night i have room for prolly 4 people. Then you wouldn't have to make the drive so early in the AM since i'm only about 30 minutes down the road. Just give me a heads up.
Very kind offer Alex, not yet sure what my plans will be.
but who knows. It looks like Sunday AM might will be the only kite day this weekend. I'll decide mid day saturday if I am going to ride on the water or the snow, and contact you after if I'm doing early AM on Sunday.
How did you come up with that name?
50 and rain tomorrow down here. What's it looking like for NH?
40's and icy mix/rain sunday is supposed to be nice and sunny though, just hope the rain/mix doesn't mess it up to bad
At this moment, my plan is to show up for daybreak at Melvin Village Sunday morning. My hunch is that the surface will be pretty bomber. Bob and I have to leave in the early afternoon, hence the early start. I will be rolling out the retro 200 cm Atomic ARC giant slalom skis circa 1985, recently tuned by Bob Doe, looking to set speed records. Alex, any recon you can do on the quality of the surface and report Saturday evening will be greatly appreciated.
I'm "supposed" to stop by my friends party on Sunday from 1-4pm. So I might go up really early too. I'm not sure though, I bet I'll end up staying later because I'm addicted to kiting, and can only get out once a week until school is done.
Jean/Bob, the wind direction looks like high probability of coming due West. Does this work for Melvin Bay? I would think it would be more gusty coming over that island as it only has < 1mile to smooth out.
i think west is the complete oposite way it was blowing last sunday. If that's the case we could cruise all the way up into Moultonborough Bay alot easier. Getting back on the other hand would be all upwind, but moultonborough bay, on google maps, looks like it really opens up even more then Melvin Bay.
Last Sunday the wind was blowing Northwest.
really?? man i'm way off! HA! i was thinking it was blowing east. I was looking at the map and remembering the direction the wind was going and could've swarn it was east.
It's been a long week!
Yea i can do some recon on the conditions. I'll let everybody know then.
Hope there's a little more wind then what they're calling for now. My 5M might not be enough in the light wind!
you won't be jumping in light wind, but if the surface conditions are fast, you'll still be flying.
Also, light wind skills are important to develop, so it might be an opportunity. especially once getting on the water. Its good to play with line tension, board pressure, etc. to see how you can build up that "apparent wind." The better your light wind skills, the less likely you'll be swimming long distances one day, snow is a great place to practice this first.
Either way, I'll bring a bunch of kites if I come. If it's light, but gusty, we're probably all be on small kites anyways b/c big gusts on big kites are a little scary (on my grunty foils at least).
thanks for the advice!!
I CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT THERE!! I've been going through withdraw all week... and i'm just a beginner!!
current weather alert for tonight/tomorrow up here.
HAZARD TYPES... SNOW LATER TONIGHT THEN CHANGING TO SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN AND THEN ALL RAIN LATER SATURDAY MORNING.
* ACCUMULATIONS... 2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW.
* TIMING... 9 PM TONIGHT TO 10 AM SATURDAY.
* IMPACTS... ROADS WILL BE SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY.
* WINDS... SOUTH 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.
Sounds like sunday should be pretty decent after this
Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 39. West wind between 8 and 13 mph.
Just hoping there's not a crust.
someday. After all, it is the church of the monkey tower ape gardens.
How about a tobagun? On the ice. Sharp rails. One guy steering, one guy flying the kite.
A typical tobagun could hold 3+ people. The 3rd/4th guys could be in charge of tipping it over when we hit top speed.
HA! I'm game!
As long as it involves shooting live rounds
we got about another 3" of snow up here last night. It's freezing rain/raining now but supposed to stop by noon.
I'm worried about a crust forming
Snow actually isnt that bad up here right now. Probably a little crust at first but should be good shortly after we get out there
It stopped raining about 2 hours ago
I feel like it could be a little dirty at our monkey spot, might get some poo thrown on us. If its light, cant really be problem gusty I guess. Better bring the 19m
I feel like it could be a little dirty at our monkey spot, might get some poo thrown on us. If its light, cant really be problem gusty I guess. Better bring the 19m :-)
It was more or less a west wind last week but if you are worried about a light west wind then Ellacoya may be a better option as it's not shielded by as much land and wind tends to really pick up momentum towards the middle of the lake.
what time is most people heading up there? Would my 13m be to much? would be my first time on the snow.
I'm a noob but looking at the light winds I would think a 13 would work good. Just as long as it's not super gusty.
Now they are calling to 10 mph winds, so the trick will be keeping the kite in the air.
10 knots hummmmm. Will that even work?
With a giant foil, and sometimes they misunderestimate the wind speed
Sunrise service was EPIC!!
EPIC FAIL that is!
There was zero wind today! We waited it out for 5 hours, but got nothin!
I was hoping to see more great shots and hear stories about how it topped last week. It's going to hit 65 this week...hope there is ice next weekend.
The surface was nice, I did some nordic skiing.
Anyone around tomorrow want to try going?
Weather forecast is .........Becoming partly cloudy later with any flurries or snow showers ending by noontime. High 26F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 30%.
this Saturday or sunday are looking decent as long as the ice/snow can hold out till then.