Beaches Main Page
MASSKITING Local Kite Beaches Map
Welcome kitesurfers! The purpose of this section is to inform kiters of the rules and regulations of our local beaches. Some of you may be finding this section because you are new to the sport, others because you will be visiting the area. Regardless of how you found it, we expect everyone to read the specifics on each beach before you go. Post in the forum if you have any questions.
If you would like to browse beaches by Region, please go HERE.
Below we are including General Rules of Kiteboarding Etiquette/Rules that we have compiled. It is our belief that all kiters should know and follow these rules at all times, regardless of where they are and who they are with. But if you are kiting on our beaches and in our waters, we expect you to at least follow these rules of common sense. They will go a long way to help keep people safe as well as prevent beach closures.
General Kiteboarding Etiquette / Rules:
- Always read and follow all posted signs at the beach.
- All beginners are strongly suggested to seek professional instruction.
- Beginners must be accompanied by an experienced kiter to launch.
- Seek local knowledge if you have never kited in an area before.
- Assisted launching and landing is recommended.
- Kiters yield right of way to all beach users and water users.
- Do not leave kites unattended on the beach.
- Wind up lines and stack kites when not riding.
- Give extra room to beginners.
- Obey lifeguards and town officials.
- Launch kites only from designated areas.
- Leave the beach in a slow and controlled manner.
- Do not launch kites with people standing downwind of kite or lines.
When on the Water:
- All kiters shall remain outside marker buoys, staying 2 kite lengths away at all times.
- NEVER KITE IN SWIM ZONES OR AROUND BATHERS.
- Starboard tack has the right of way (right hand forward is starboard, left is port).
- Jumping kiters give up right of way.
- When passing or overtaking another kiter, the downwind rider lowers their kite.
- The overtaken rider has the right of way.
- Do not come within 200 ft of shore unless launching and landing.
- Kiters leaving the beach have the right of way.
- Always look behind you before you turn or jump.
- Priority is given when riding a wave.
- Do not fly kites over people or restricted areas.